“Green driving” is a great way to help reduce your rates for car insurance in Calgary, and it also helps protect the environment. By following best practices for eco-friendly driving, you’ll be safer on the road. This cuts down your risk of being involved in an accident, which in turn makes it less likely that you’ll have to file an insurance claim. Remaining claim-free is the number one way to keep your insurance premiums as low as possible.
Car Insurance Calgary: Idle No More
According to National Resources Canada, idling is one of the most environmentally damaging driving behaviours. In fact, if a vehicle with an average-sized engine idles for more than 10 seconds, it wastes more fuel and produces more carbon dioxide than turning off your engine and restarting it. As a general rule of thumb, if your vehicle is going to be idle for more than a minute and you’re not in traffic, it’s better to turn off the ignition and restart your vehicle when you’re ready to start moving again.
Some strategies for reducing idling time include:
- Parking your car and going inside a restaurant instead of using “drive-thru” services
- Turning off your vehicle if you have to run inside a building to complete a short errand
- Reducing the amount of time you spend warming up your car during the winter
Car Insurance Calgary: More “Green Driving” Tips
There are plenty of other strategies you can use to save fuel. Avoiding unnecessary acceleration reduces gasoline consumption and is also a proven road safety strategy. Stick to the speed limit and try to maintain a constant rate as much as possible. Drivers who speed up, brake, speed up again and brake again when they’re in traffic waste a lot of gasoline, and studies have shown that for an average car trip around town, speeding doesn’t save a significant amount of time.
You should also make sure your vehicle is well-maintained. That means you should change your oil every 5,000 kilometres or so and make sure that all fluids are at the correct levels and all vehicle systems are performing properly. In addition, make sure your tires are properly inflated. If they don’t have enough pressure, you’ll consume more gasoline.
Here are some other important eco-friendly driving pointers to keep in mind when you’re on the road:
- Keep your air filters clean and properly maintained. This alone can cut fuel consumption by 10 percent.
- Only use your air conditioner when it’s absolutely necessary. Turning on the A/C is a drain on your gas tank.
- Plan ahead so you can complete as many errands in a single car trip as possible.
- If you’re going to an unfamiliar destination, plot out the most efficient possible route ahead of time.
- Get rid of unnecessary weight in your vehicle. Remove heavy items from the trunk if you don’t need them, and take off roof racks and other accessories if you’re not using them.
- Choose an auto maintenance or repair specialist that follows best practices for environmental safety.
By following all these green driving tips, you could reduce your fuel consumption by as much as 30 per cent, all while reducing your risk of getting in an accident.
Car Insurance Calgary: Why You Should Choose Lane’s Insurance
Lane’s Insurance is a leading Alberta-based brokerage. We work with select carriers who provide comprehensive protection at the lowest possible rates, and help you choose the insurance policies that give you the coverage you need for premiums you can afford.
We’re also pleased to offer our clients money-saving insurance bundles. By purchasing both your home and auto insurance through us, you can save up to 20 percent on your premiums! Visit us online to get a fast, free quote, or contact a Lane’s Insurance customer care specialist for more information.