We’ve been promised a nice summer, and after last year we deserve it! It’s the perfect stretch of the Calgary weather calendar to make sure that your bike – and your motorcycle insurance – are ready for spring.
Motorcycle Maintenance: Tips to Prepare Your Bike for Riding Season
Taking the right maintenance steps now can save plenty of headaches when it’s time to hit the road, and it’s always more affordable to maintain your bike properly than it is to pay for repairs. So it’s more than worth giving your motorcycle’s key systems a thorough once-over before you reunite with the open road.
- Fresh Fuel – Old fuel can cause all sorts of unpleasant issues with your bike’s engine, so say goodbye to the stale fuel and start fresh. It’s a small step that can help you avoid big problems down the line.
- Better Batteries – Batteries are among the most common trouble-spots at the start of the season, but proper storage goes a long way toward alleviating those problems. Pick up a “trickle” charger to keep your battery healthy through the winter.
- Check Brakes – Just as with fuel, your brake fluid may not be in great shape after sitting stagnant through the winter. Check your brake pads, add/replace fluid if needed, and test your brakes at walking speed before hitting the road.
- Test Tires – When it comes to motorcycle safety, few things are more important than a quality set of tires. It’s a good habit to check your tires before every ride, so you’ll certainly want to give them a thorough look after a winter in storage.
- Oil and Fluids – Check your oil and all other key fluids to make sure everything is topped off and ready to go. It’s an easy step to forget, so better to get it out of the way now.
How Updating Your Motorcycle Insurance Can Help You Save This Spring
In addition to making sure that you have all of the coverage you need, the beginning of the season is the best time to update policy information, make sure you’re getting all of the discounts you deserve, and shop around for the best rates.
- Bundled Discounts – One of the best ways to save is by buying your home, auto, and motorcycle insurance from the same provider. So if your current insurance is spread around, check with your insurance broker to see if you can save by bundling your coverage.
- Update Information – Did you move to a new location, or are you expecting changes to your riding habits for the coming season? Let your insurance company know so that your policy can be updated accordingly.
- Motorcycle Security – If your motorcycle doesn’t currently have an anti-theft system, adding one can help you save on insurance. You can even save on premiums by storing your motorcycle in a more secure location.
- Shop Around – Even if you’re happy with your current provider overall, it’s still a good idea to shop around and see what’s out there. You’ll never know what discounts and perks are available if you don’t look.
Trust Lane’s With all of Your Motorcycle Insurance Needs
If you have any questions about getting your motorcycle insurance ready for the spring, your Lane’s Insurance broker should be your go-to resource. Taking the time to prepare will allow you to enjoy a carefree summer of riding, and save some money in the process.
Our team works with the best brands for home, auto, and motorcycle insurance in Alberta. Learn more about motorcycle insurance from our experienced brokers located in Calgary, Edmonton and Banff.