Purchasing auto insurance is not something you do every day, and a lot of people are not sure where to start and what to ask. There are a ton of different insurers, coverage options and endorsements to choose from. Using an insurance broker like the professionals at Lane’s is a great way to clarify your options. Here are three tips for purchasing auto insurance in Calgary and finding the right match for your needs.
Tip 1. Understand Your Basic Coverage
Every province has its own minimum insurance coverage requirements, and additional coverage can be used to fill the gaps that a basic policy doesn’t cover. In Alberta, required coverage includes third-party liability ($200,000 minimum, although most people have at least $1 million), medical payments ($50,000 per person), disability income (80 percent of lost wages), funeral expense benefits ($5,000), and death benefits (minimum $10,000).
Tip 2. Keep Premiums Low With Safe Driving and Ownership Practises
Keeping your driving record clean is the best way to ensure you get offered the most optimal rate, and that means it’s crucial to avoid demerit points. Drive safe by following posted speed limits, obeying traffic signs, staying alert, and keeping your phone in your pocket. Remember, distracted driving is against the law!
You can also save on insurance by storing your vehicle in a safe location. If you have a garage, use it. Putting fewer kilometers on you car can also have an affect on your rates, as can having a smart or electric car. And although most vehicles have a factory-installed security system, if your vehicle doesn’t it’s more than worth it to get one installed.
3. Use an Auto Insurance Broker
Want to simplify the process of shopping for auto insurance in Calgary? Working with the right insurance broker will definitely make your life easier. Here’s how:
- Experience – Shopping for insurance is complex, but your broker has an edge. They spend every day working in the world of insurance, so the details that make the industry tick are simply second nature.
- Product Knowledge – Every insurer is a bit different, and the same goes for insurance policies. A deep understanding of the products available allows your broker to find the best possible fit.
- Q&A – Have a question? No problem. You don’t have to worry about waiting on hold to get answers from a big insurance company, because you have a direct line to your broker.
- The Right Match – All of that industry knowledge allows your broker to find the right coverage for you, and ensure that you receive all available discounts.
- Business Auto Insurance – Whether you need to insure a single commercial vehicle or a whole fleet, your insurance broker understands the details of business auto insurance in Calgary.
- Peace of Mind – Why spend time worrying about insurance, when you don’t have to? Working with an insurance broker gives you the peace of mind that you’ll always have the coverage you need.
Lane’s Are Experts in Auto Insurance in Calgary
To further your knowledge about your auto insurance options, here are nine questions to ask your auto insurance broker before you make your choice.
The team at Lane’s Insurance serves all of Alberta, and we’re happy to help you find the best auto insurance for your specific situation. Learn more about our auto insurance services, or start shopping with a free auto insurance quote from our team. Learn how to save up to 20 per cent on your overall coverage costs by bundling to save.