Travel insurance is a must if you’re going to be headed out of Canada for a trip, and you should carry it no matter where you’re going and and how long you’ll be away. With the soaring costs of medical expenses and new threats like the Zika virus popping up around the world, you’re always better safe than sorry when it comes to your travel medical coverage.
Travel insurance is also available for more than just healthcare-related expenses. You can purchase coverage that will safeguard you in a whole host of situations, from lost bags to cancelled trips and much more. Before you hit the road, be sure you’re protected no matter what might come along.
Myths about Travel Health Insurance
Unfortunately, there’s a lot of misinformation out there when it comes to travel insurance, and as a result, a lot of people have misconceptions. With that in mind, here are the top four myths about travel health insurance and the truth behind the incorrect perceptions:
Myth: You don’t really need travel insurance because your provincial health plan will cover you.
Fact: Provincial health insurance will only protect you under very limited circumstances, and even then, the amounts they reimburse will usually be far less than the expenses you actually incur if you require medical treatment or hospitalization.
Myth: I don’t need travel health insurance because my work benefits or credit card cover me.
Fact: Again, these types of protections are generally very limited in what they will reimburse you for, and they are also usually subject to short trips and strict limits. While you should check to see if they offer adequate protection, these forms of coverage are usually only helpful for very brief out-of-province trips and will usually only cover a limited number of perils.
Myth: It’s cheaper to buy travel health insurance on an as-needed basis, rather than an annual plan.
Fact: If you’re a frequent traveler, you will almost always get a better per-trip rate by buying an inclusive multi-trip plan than you will by purchasing travel health policies on an as-needed basis.
Myth: My coverage automatically extends to my family members.
Fact: Most travel health plans, especially those offered through work benefits and credit cards, only cover a single beneficiary. If you need to cover family members, it’s usually a better idea to go through an insurance broker.
Other Types of Travel Protection
While travel medical insurance is the most popular type of travel insurance for Calgary voyagers, there are many other forms of protection you can get to ensure you don’t suffer financial losses as the result of unexpected circumstances. Here’s a look at other types of travel protection that may interest you:
- Travel life insurance: Provides death benefits to loved ones in the event of a fatal accident, injury or health event
- Flight delay and lost baggage insurance: Protect yourself against financial losses resulting from delayed or cancelled flights and lost personal items
- Trip cancellation and interruption insurance: Get reimbursed for your costs if you have to cancel, delay, or cut your trip short at the last minute
Tips for a Safer Trip
Holiday accidents are much more common than you might think, and the key thing to remember when you’re away is that you’re in a foreign environment. As such, you should err on the side of caution and be conservative. Here are some specific tips to help you enjoy a safer trip:
- Be very careful when driving in a foreign country, as everything from the rules of the road to local customs may be quite different than what you’re used to
- Always be aware of your surroundings and exercise common sense and good judgment
- Before swimming in an ocean or hiking into a remote area, gather as much information as you can about the place you’ll be going and have a plan for action ready to go if something goes wrong
- Don’t drink excessively; many holiday accidents occur as the result of overindulging in alcohol
- Don’t drink tap water unless you’re sure it’s safe; stick to bottled water instead
- Exercise added caution when eating seafood or meat
Travel Insurance in Calgary: Get a Quote From Lane’s Today!
Lane’s Insurance is a leading provider of travel insurance and a complete range of related products that cover every aspect of your travel needs. Visit us online today to get a fast, free quote on your travel insurance.