Alberta residents in Edmonton and Calgary rely on Lane’s insurance for all their insurance needs. Our experienced brokers provide you access to the products of several providers, and we do the research for you to find you the most comprehensive coverage for your home or business needs. All the companies we work with are fully licensed and have long histories in the insurance industry. Each offers several great insurance options, so you’ll rest easily knowing your business and personal assets are completely protected.
Insurance Scam Alert
Unfortunately, a few recent incidences of an age-old scam have been identified by the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC). Although not widespread, there have been some cases reported of false or fake insurance companies.
This scam is usually presented as follows:
- The first involves ads placed in local newspapers offering all types of insurance at extremely low rates. Since these ads use a slightly altered name of a fully licensed insurance provider, they look legitimate, and when you call the phone number you’re offered insurance at a rate that is usually significantly lower than regular rates.
- Another scam involves people posing as insurance agents or brokers and offering “discount” insurance from companies that don’t exist.
- According to the IBC, legitimate insurance companies, brokers, and agents will never ask for:
- Signing fees
- Payments to be sent to an unidentified post office box
- Payments to be made using wire transfers
- If this has happened to you, contact the IBC.
How to Research a Company, Agent, or Insurance Broker in Alberta
Federal and/or provincial regulators license all legal Canadian insurance providers. In Alberta, the Alberta Insurance Council (AIC) provides this information to the public free of charge.
Operating under the authority of Alberta’s Minister of Finance and Enterprise, the AIC issues licensing certificates to all brokers and agents legally allowed to conduct business within the province. To find out whether a specific agent, broker, or firm is fully licensed, the AIC website allows you to easily obtain this information.
The AIC provides the following for all licensed Calgary Insurance Brokers and Agents in Alberta:
- Whether persons or firms are legally authorized to act as insurance agents, brokers, or adjusters in Alberta
- The type of insurance certificate holders or companies are legally allowed to conduct in the province
- Whether an individual has been a subject of disciplinary action
You can search for individual insurance brokers in Alberta by name using the AIC’s Agent and Agency Search. To search for a specific insurance company, use an Agency search and simply type in the name of the insurance company. If the company is listed, click on the number of licenses to see a complete list of all licensees within that company. This list will provide all the information you need about the agents or brokers at the company, including the type of business they are licensed to conduct. You can also request this information in an email, using the link at the top of the AIC search page.
Lane’s insurance: Your Fully Licensed Edmonton and Calgary Insurance Brokers!
At Lane’s insurance, we’ll keep you updated on the latest insurance news. If you have any questions on how to properly research your insurance company, or to request a personal or commercial quote, please contact our Calgary or Edmonton office today!