Accidents happen. It’s a fact of life on the road. By implementing good driving habits, and maybe with a little luck, you’ll be able to avoid one yourself, but if you’re unfortunately involved in a car crash, it’s important that you know exactly what to do. This will help you be better prepared if you have to file an insurance claim or take any other kind of legal action.
Right now, Lane’s Insurance is developing an app that will help clients manage details if they should ever be involved in an accident. The app will enable you to:
- Document details of the incident
- File photos taken of the collision scene
- Submit claims
- Access your policy and coverage details
- View your payment history and purchase expanded coverage
The app will also send you notifications if any inclement weather is expected in the area that could cause dangerous driving conditions. Be sure to add it to your smartphone when it’s released!
Car Insurance Calgary: What to Do if You’re in an Auto Accident
In the meantime, here is a step-by-step guide as to what you should do if you’re involved in a car accident and you’re not injured:
- Move your car to the side of the road, away from traffic, if you are able. If not, put on your hazard lights and/or lay reflective triangles on the road around the collision site.
- Write down details of the accident, noting the time and place, what happened, how fast you were going, how fast the other driver was going, and what road conditions were like. Get the license plate numbers, contact information and insurance details for all other drivers, passengers, and vehicles involved, if it is safe to do so.
- Sketch the accident scene, noting the relative positions of all parties involved in the moments leading up to the crash.
- Contact your insurance company as soon as possible after the crash and be prepared to submit all your documentation and information to the claims processing department.
Here are some tips that will make your life easier if you’re ever in an accident:
- Keep a disposable camera or inexpensive digital camera in your glove box so you can take pictures of an accident scene.
- Carry collision coverage and/or “all perils” coverage to minimize your risk exposure.
- Keep a copy of your insurance company’s accident report form in your glove compartment so you can fill it out while all the details are fresh in your mind.
If you are injured but capable of using your phone, or if another driver, passenger, pedestrian or cyclist is injured, call 911 immediately. You should also notify the police right away if:
- The other driver flees the scene of the accident
- You suspect the other driver is under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs
- Major property damage has taken place
Should you need to file a claim, take a moment to review these insurance basics so you’re better prepared for the process.
Minimize Your Risk
You can further reduce your risk of being in an accident by following these common but often-overlooked pieces of important safety advice:
- Always travel at posted speed limits, and reduce your speed as necessary for road conditions
- Obey all road signs
- Never use portable or handheld electronic devices while you’re behind the wheel
- Minimize distractions
- Never drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Always signal your turns and lane changes
- Never drive in reverse without looking carefully behind you
- Allow other drivers plenty of space
- Scan the road for potential hazards at all times
How Passengers Play a Role in Road Safety
Passengers also play an important role in road safety, and as a driver, it’s up to you to make sure that everyone travelling with you knows how to do their part to keep everyone safe. Here’s a quick refresher on how to be a good passenger:
- Be the “designated phone person” on behalf of the driver
- Help the driver with directions, and point out potential hazards the driver may not be able to see
- Operate the radio or mp3 player
- Stay alert
Car Insurance Calgary: The Lane’s Insurance Advantage
The professionals at Lane’s Insurance are here to help you stay safe on the road, and to provide you with excellent vehicle coverage at highly competitive rates, with courteous service and outstanding claims support. Visit us online for a fast, free Calgary car insurance quote, or contact us to discuss your unique needs in more detail.